If you’ve never had someone think about—really, really fixate—on the shape of your eyebrows, you’ve likely not spent much time with Oscar-winning Hollywood makeup artist Mindy Hall. She’s self-admittedly “eyebrow” obsessed, recognizing early on that brows are critical to defining a face and creating a memorable character. She’s also rather persistent (and persuasive) when it comes to getting her clients to do what it takes to take care of their skin. It’s this attention to detail that has propelled Mindy to become one of the foremost makeup artists in Hollywood today—and helped her bring home the Oscar for her work as the Department Head for Star Trek. Whether it’s leading a makeup department of 45 or serving as the personal makeup artist for the film’s lead, she brings a fearless, hands-on (quite literally at times) attention to detail to her art. Her career is one that most would kill for—reaching back over 30 years and starting with acceptance into the exclusive makeup apprenticeship program at the San Francisco Opera, working on Broadway and in television, and finally, landing in the film industry in the late 1980s.
Mindy’s film credits total over 30 feature movies, including Star Trek: The Future Begins, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, P.S I Love You, and World Trade Center. She has also co-authored the 1st and 2nd editions of The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre.
Nominations & Awards:
- 2011 Emmy Nomination Outstanding Makeup For a Miniseries or Movie (Non Prosthetic) “Cinema Verite”
- 2010 Academy Award Best Makeup “Star Trek”
- 2010 Saturn Award Best Makeup “Star Trek”
- 2003 Makeup and Hairstylist Guild Award Best Makeup or Hairstyling Live Theatrical “Wicked”
Memberships and Certifications:
- Member of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Makeup Artists and Hairstylists
- Makeup Artists and Hairstylists, Local 706, Hollywood, CA
- Makeup Artists and Hairstylists, Local 798, New York, NY
- Aveda Institute New York City
- New York State Esthetician’s License
- California State Esthetician’s License